Friday, June 27, 2008

Lowering my bike.

Being a dirtbike, my bike sits pretty high. This is fine when I'm riding, but can be kind of a pain when going around town because of stoplights and such and having to be on my toes to keep from falling over. The seat started 35.75" high and I was able to lower it to 35". Not a huge difference, but enough to make it a little more comfortable waiting for stoplights.

I needed a way to keep the bike upright and strapping it to the shelf in my garage worked pretty well.

Later I figured out that the rear stand for my old bike could be used as a center stand for the new one. It doesn't quite fit, but worked to get the bike up in the air. Between the center stand and the jack you can see some linkage hanging down. That is what i disassembled to lower the rear some with the built in adjustment.

Most of the lowering came from loosening the triple clamps on the front forks and moving them up. Originally the aluminum top plates of the forks were flush with the triple clamps.

No comments: