Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Belgian Beer Log Day 3 - Westmalle Trippel (Trappist)

Last night I went with Phil's recommendation and had a Westmalle Trippel. This is another trappist brewery and this particular beer was 9.5% alcohol and you could tell.

Thankfully he told me to pour it in a single pour and to leave the last little bit in the bottle because there's always some yeast left at the bottom that you don't want to drink.

My beer looked just like the picture I found on the website. Same glass and everything. It was a little lighter (color, flavor, not alcohol) than the Chimay I had last night and had a bit of an odd flavor too.

It was good, but I didn't care for the flavor as much as the Chimay or the Irish stout i had my first night over here. I also had a taste of Phil's 2nd beer, an Orval. This was much fruitier than the Trippel (possibly because it has 1/3 less alcohol) but the flavor was ok.

So now I've tried 3 of the 5 trappist brewery's since I've been here and overall I guess I'm not terribly impressed. It's still better than the beer back home though. Apparently my tastes just aren't refined enough or something since the trappist beers are supposed to be the best in the world.

No comments: