Sunday, October 26, 2008

Belgian Beer Log Day 1 - Murphy's Irish Stout


I had something in a black can on the plane. Not sure what it was but it was medium in color and not very cold. It was better than a Cass in the back of Mr. An’s cab in Korea, but it wasn’t great. It was drinkable though.

It took me 2 hours to find the hotel from the airport. Street signs in Belgium are terrible. I wound up at the Courtyard Marriott somehow and asked directions which helped a little, but it still took me an hour to find the Renaissance after that.

I ate dinner in a little square right across the way from the hotel entrance. Not much was open but the sports bar which worked. The San Diego Chargers vs. the New Orleans Saints was on the big screen so it was decent enough entertainment. The beers weren’t on the menu so I asked the waitress and the only word I caught that she said was ‘stout’ so I ordered that. Turned out to be a Murphy’s Irish Stout. It was quite dark with a decent head and not too bitter but almost creamy. That would be my ‘professional’ opinion. It was very good in fact. 4 days to go.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Yeah, sorry I could not be more helpful. It took me a similar amount of time to find the hotel. FYI - The hotel itself has decent beers and they have hoegaarden during happy hour.


Also, The Trappist on Waterloo (SW of Hotel) has good food and much beer. Good luck and happy drinking.

Jill said...

^Matt